Intermittent fasting is new trend to the dietary world. People except it as life style modification.
Many studies shows that it has powerful effect on body and mind and may even help you live longer. People are using it to lose weight, improve health and simplify their lifestyle.
I am going to write about science of INTERMITTENT FASTING.
Intermittent fasting is eating pattern that cycles between fasting and eating, it doesn’t specify what food to eat but rather when you should eat.
During fasting period you do not have to eat any meal. You can have water, coffee or green tea without any sugar. And during non fasting period you can eat anything you want, but healthy food.
There are generally 2 phase eliminating phase, where your body eliminate toxins from your body. And building phase, where your body needs healthy nutrient rich food for cell repair, growth and functioning of your body system.
How to do intermittent fasting,
- 16/8 method, cycle between eating and fasting. 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours eating
- 5:2 diet, you can consume 500 to 600 calories in two non consecutive days of the week, but eat normally the other 5 days.
- Eat-Stop-Eat, 24 hours fating in one or two day a week
Intermittent fasting often done for religious and spiritual reason in various group across the world. Like Vrata on Hinduism, Ramadan fasting in Islam, Buddhist fasting, Sunday Fast, Orthodox Christian fasting, etc..
How Intermittent Fasting affect hormones:
1. HGH( human growth hormone)
During Intermittent Fasting the level of HGH increases five times more than normal. It helps in body cell repair, growth, fat mobilization, lean muscle development and so many.
Generally, HGH high in adult. Level decreases as you grow older. So in that case intermittent fasting helps a lot.
Some study shows longer you fast, more the HGH release in your body.
Insulin sensitivity improves.
Insulin, along with HGH is an anabolic hormone(which stimulate protein synthesis and muscle growth). It helps put on muscle mass and burn fat.
3. Adrenalin and nor-adrenaline
These are your emotion hormones, specially during fear and anger. It helps you in fighting the situation by giving you strength, sugar metabolism and alertness.
It improve your metabolism, improve speed of reaction and improve focus.
You will fill energized when this hormones high in your body, and these hormones will dramatically increase when your are on Intermittent Fasting.
Advantages of Intermittent fasting,
- Increases your lean muscle growth
- Increases nutrient re-partitioning
- Improve alertness or sharpness
- Reduce insulin resistance, and lowering risk of type 2 diabetes
- Increases the heart health
- Triggers the metabolic pathway, which remove waste product from the cells
- Improves brain health
- It may extend your lifespan, helping you live longer
- It may prevent cancer and Alzheimer’s disease
- It reduces the oxidative stress(steps towards aging and many chronic disease) and inflammation in the body
- Increases your metabolism
It’s a life style you can do 3 times a week, you can do once a week, once a month. Whatever suits you best, just do it. Be a mindful, how your body react to it, how your mind react to it, is it making you bad, is it making you tiered and lethargic. Don’t make decision on one day, try at least three days and than make your decision because this going to be future of all diet like tradition, the science of human body
Because closer we line our self to the nature, most of our problem tends to get better