Paneer, is go to fresh cheese in any Indian curry. It’s generic name is cottage cheese. If you are remotely familiar to Indian or south Asian food you probably have came across with paneer.
Paneer is basically made up by curding the hot milk by some fruit acids or by vinegar. Paneer is so creamy, mouthwatering and slightly chewy by texture.
It is favorite cheese of any vegetarian because there are so many recipes you can make with paneer. It is versatile, you can make so many varieties; you can add into curries, you can fill into flat breads, you can make kabab out of it or even you can make sweet out of it.
Making a paneer is so easy. It neither require any specific preparation nor so many ingredients. You can make with in an hour.
Paneer has so many health benefits. Such as,
- High in protein
- High in calcium
- Paneer strengthen bone and teeth
- Good for heart health
- Improve digestion
- Rich source of folate
- Great for weight loss( keep you full for long period of time)
How to make Paneer at home
- Whole milk
- Vinegar or fruit acids or curd
- Muslin cloth or cheese cloth
- Heavy block
- Take heavy bottom pan
- Pour gallon of whole milk
- Switch on the gas, and put on medium flame
- Once a milk boil, switch off the flame
- Add 5-6 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
- Stir the milk, you will see curding of milk immediately
- The curds will separate from liquid, let the curd sit for 5-10 minute. Meanwhile liquid gets chance to cool down.
- After than strain the mixture through muslin cloth or cheese cloth and rise the curd with cold water to wash away the sour taste from vinegar or lemon juice.
- Then gather the corner of the cloth and squeeze out the excess liquid from cheese
- Then put some weight( put block ) on cheese in order to make a cheese flat and then put into refrigerator
- After a hour of pressing your cheese should look like!
- Enjoy! Your homemade paneer is ready.