We love to eat tasty and yummy food. We can only taste things up to our oral cavity, I mean in simple language only your tongue can test stuff. Once food leaves your tongue we don’t feel anything after that, but we can experience certain things like a burp or even worse SMELLY BURPS. Having burps is completely normal but when it becomes excessive then we need to look into it.
What do you think having burps is a good thing? Are you enjoying having it? You might experience sense of satisfaction but not with the smelly burps, you feel disgusting. Because not even you can smell it but anyone around you can also smell it.
Why you are having burps?
Usually, we get burps because of swallowing excess air. This air usually doesn’t even reach the stomach but accumulate in the Esophagus. It is completely normal to have few Burps or Flatulence. You may swallow excess air because of,
- You eat or drink to fast
- Talk while eating
- Chewing gums
- Drink aerated drinks
- Eat too much protein to quickly
- Drinking too much beer
Why you are having smelly burps?
The burps or belching you are having, literally, you can smell it. You can smell the food you ate or it would smell like rotten eggs also called Hydrogen Sulfide (gas builds up in your digestive system)
It is completely normal to have gas, rather you express it in the form of burp or in the form of flatulence. But when you are having very often or it smells like a rotten egg than there is a problem.
If we are having excess of burping then check for,
- H.PYLORI BACTERIA: if you are having too many antacids (which controls the acid level) if our stomach has a low acid level, certain bacteria’s will grow easily like H pylori. Frequent burping is common symptoms for H pylori infestation. These infestations associated with abdominal pain, heartburn, indigestion, and fatigue.
- ESOPHAGUS REFLUX DISEASE (GERD): when you have reflux disease, then you also have lots of burps with rotten egg smell.
- IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME: it is because of poor functioning of guts. You can have lots of burps in this condition.
- INTOLERANT TO CERTAIN FOOD: like, gluten, lactose, certain nuts or certain foods. Our gut can tolerate certain foods and it produces excess gas. You have to cut off certain foods like, wheat, milk, nuts because these are main inflammatory foods that can create a problem. This condition totally depends on individuals all of us have different metabolism.
How you can avoid it?
- Slow down when we are eating
- Protein food – chew way more
- Sit down and slowly drink your water
- Avoid carbonated beverages
- Avoid the food if you are intolerant
How do u stop burping?
- Eliminate certain food like lentil, beans, cabbage, whole grain
- Green tea like peppermint or chamomile tea
- Herbal tea like carom, cumin, and fennel tea
- Ginger tea or add ginger into your meal (you can find herbal tea recipe for better digestion)
When to consult a doctor,
Consult your doctor if burps doesn’t improve with simple changes, or burps accompany with other symptoms like,
- Change in color or frequency of stool
- Loss of appetite or feeling full quickly
- Bloody stool
- Chest discomfort
- Persistent or severe abdominal pain
Did you find this helpful? Let us know in the comments below or on Instagram with the hashtag #aajione.
If you have any suggestion or you want me to write an article on your favorite topic. let me know in the comment section below. I would love to help.