Peanuts are super nuts. It has an excellent nutritional profile. It is a good source of plant-based protein, healthy fat, fiber, and many vitamins and minerals. I think peanuts are the cheapest nuts you can find. It is easily available all around the world. There are also amazing health benefits of peanuts.
To get maximum benefits please consume it in moderate form because it is high in calorie.
Health benefits of peanuts
1. Support’s heart health
Peanuts contain polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, which are the healthiest type of fat. According to the american heart association, consuming monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat instead of saturated fat and trans fat can improve a person’s blood cholesterol level.
2. Maintain healthy weight
Because peanuts have healthy fats, protein, and fibers, that could be consumed as a satisfying snack. Eating them in moderation may help person to maintain a weight.
3. Managing blood sugar
Due to low glycemic index (GI score 23) peanuts are excellent food for people with diabetes.
Nutritional value of peanuts
Peanuts are an excellent source of plant-based protein.
25.8 gram protein in 100 gram of peanuts
Daily requirement for protein,
Male 56 gram
Peanuts contain POLYUNSATURATED and MONOUNSATURATED fat, which are the healthiest type of fat. According to the American heart association, consuming monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat instead of saturated fat and trans fat can improve a person’s blood cholesterol level. And ultimately lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Peanuts also have a small amount of saturated fat. That’s why consuming in smaller amount is beneficial.
• Dietary fiber
Peanuts are a good source of dietary fiber.
8.5 grams dietary fiber in 100 grams of peanuts
Daily requirement for fiber,
- Female 34 grams
- Male 28 grams
• Peanuts are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals. These include biotin, copper, niacin, folate, manganese, vitamin E, thiamine, phosphorus, and magnesium.
Type of peanuts to consume
• Plain roasted peanut: roasted peanuts are healthiest peanut to consume. You can have it eat without any side effect. If possible then eat peanuts .with skin attached. Peanut skin contain antioxidants.
• Salted peanuts: peanuts in any form are healthy. Only problem is that you have to eat in moderate form because salted peanuts contain sodium and too much sodium is not good for your health.
•Trail mix peanuts: tail mix peanuts are also less healthier than roasted peanuts because of high sodium content because of this peanuts are usually deep-fried in hydrogenated oil, chemicals, and preservatives.
• Peanut butter: peanut butter is also a healthier option. If it made by simple method. Always read a label. It’s suppose to have 2 ingredients like peanuts and sea salt. It doesn’t need any oil to bland.
• Peanut oil: peanut oil has a high smoking point and neutral taste, which makes it perfect for deep-fried food.
Peanuts contain PHYTIC ACID. These are Anti-nutrients that can block nutrient absorption. Peanut block the absorption of IRON and ZINC in your system. If you have thyroid and you are supplementing with zinc, make sure you have a limited amount of peanuts. Or if you have low iron then also you have to limit peanut consumption. Just have it 1-2 TBSP every alternate day.
Risk to have peanuts
• Peanuts contain protein called ARACHIN and CONARACHIN. Some people are severally allergic to these protein, it could be a life-threatening allergic reaction for them.
•Peanuts are high in calories so you have to consume in moderation.
• Peanut contain phytic acid, which act’s as antinutrient for iron and zinc
• Sometimes peanuts can be contaminated with aflatoxin poison, serious aflatoxin poisoning can lead to liver failure or liver cancer.
check out other health and wellness Article
If you have any suggestion or you want me to write an article on your favorite topic. let me know in the comment section below. I would love to help.