Fenugreek seeds are one of the greatest herb of INDIA. Because of tremendous amount of health benefits it’s been use since ancient time.
Fenugreek has very typical sweet yet bitter taste and aroma as well. It can be consume in seed form or in leaves form also. Seeds are golden brown in color. Seeds and leaves are common ingredients in dishes from INDIAN subcontinent, where it known as “METHI”. Fenugreek leaves are eaten in INDIA as a vegetable.
One tablespoon(11.1 gm) of whole fenugreek seed (Buy Here)
- Fiber- 3 gram
- Protein- 3 gram
- Carb – 6 grams
- Fat – 1 gram
- Iron – 20% of daily value
- Manganese – 7% of daily value
- Magnesium – 5% of daily value
Health benefits of fenugreek
- Reduce cholesterol specially LDL
- Control blood sugar level and control diabetes : the amino acid compound in fenugreek seed promote insulin discharge in pancreas, which bring down the sugar level in the body.
- Help in weight loss: fenugreek are made up with soluble fibers, which can swell and fill up the stomach. Eat overnight soaked seeds 2-3 times a day and you will discover you will satiated without eating much.
- Digestive aid: increase bowel movement, soluble fibers, prevent colon cancer, help in reduce acid reflux or heartburns.
- Increase lactation: it contain phytoestrogens that build the level of prolactin in your body. Women who are breastfeeding use fenugreek to promote milk flow. Start consume it on a first or second day of birth.
- Ease menstrual cramps, hot flushes, and period distress
- Prevent hair loss: fenugreek contain compound which aid in hair health. Whether you include in diet or applied directly into hair, it tremendously useful. Massage your hair with boiled fenugreek soaked overnight in coconut oil can be fabulous solution for hair loss. It is also great remedy for hair loss.
- Get radiant skin: The seeds destroy free radicals in the body which causes wrinkles and dark spots. These seeds also lighten the sin tone
- Induce and ease child birth: The seeds have been known to be supportive in stimulating labor and uterine compression, it additionally decrease labor pain also. So excess amount could be is dangerous to consume in early and mid pregnancy, can lead to miscarriage and premature birth.
- Boost testosterone level: One 6-week study provided 30 men with 600 mg of fenugreek extract to assess changes in sexual function and libido. Most participants reported increased strength and improved sexual function
How do you consume fenugreek?
- overnight soaked fenugreek seed consume first thing in morning can aid weight loss.
- Eat it as sprout as is or add into salad
- You can dry the seed, grind them into powder, and sprinkle into meat of veggies to give it more flavor.
- Make it paste and add it to curry
- Soak overnight and make paste and mix with curd, apply direct to the scalp: it prevent dandruff
- Harvest microgreen out of seeds and make flat bread out of it.
- Fenugreek leaves can be consume as a vegetable and make sabji out of it.Overnight soaked seed water consume for its benefits (Buy Here)
Side effect and safety
Fenugreek is likely safe for people when taken by mouth in normal amount. It can cause diarrhea, stomach upset if it consume in excess form. It might lowers the blood sugar level, and cause hypoglycemia.
Special precaution and warning
- Pregnancy: fenugreek in likely not safe during pregnancy, it might cause malformation in baby as well as early contraction.
- Allergy: people who are allergic to soybean, peanuts and green peas might also be allergic to fenugreek
- Diabetes: fenugreek can affect blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Watch for sight of low blood sugar(hypoglycemia)
Read my other Health and Wellness Article
Did you find this helpful? Let us know in the comments below or on Instagram with the hashtag #aajione.
If you have any suggestion or you want me to write an article on your favorite topic. let me know in the comment section below. I would love to help